Crispy Lavash bread chips are your dip’s new best friend. Lavash bread chips can handle scooping up creamy hummus or other thick dips. A little crunchy and super flavorful, they are super easy to make. This recipe is a perfect snack to share with your friends and family.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
This recipe was originally published in April 2018 and has been update to include Air Fryer instructions, videos and pictures.
This Recipe's Index
What is Lavash?
Lavash is a traditional, soft, and thin flat bread. It is often found in western parts of Asia and around the Caspian sea. Though lavash is traditionally soft, you can easily make it into delicious crackers perfect for dipping in our classic hummus or other dips like our smoky Eggplant Dip recipe.
Lavash Bread Chips Video Recipe
Homemade Crispy Lavash Crackers are Super Quick to Make!
Homemade crackers are really fast baking and even faster to put together. All you need is a mixer, a sheet pan, and a very small amount of kneading to make perfect, crisp crackers every time.
How to make Lavash bread crackers in an Air Fryer or CrispLid?
Start by mixing the dough and spreading it into a sheet that is about ⅛” thick.
Depending on the size of your fryer, you may need to slice the dough into smaller pieces. Before starting the fryer, line the bottom of the air fryer with foil. Preheat your air fryer to 375 *F . When it is preheated, set the temperature to 375 *F and air fry for 10 minutes or until the chips are golden brown in color.
Tips and tricks
- Don’t undercook the crackers because they can become soggy
- If you use other seeds or seasonings, add them right before baking as well
- Use a stand mixer to make it easy to mix the dough
What is the difference between Lavash Chips and Lavash Bread?
Lavash bread is a soft, thin bread. Lavash chips are crispy and can be served as a snack or appetizer. Chips are easy to dip and share with friends and family.
What other toppings can be used for the lavash crackers?
You can use just about any topping you like such as:
- Zaatar seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- Cumin powder
- Paprika or smoked paprika
- Caraway seeds
- Flax seeds
- Poppy seed
What do I serve lavash bread with?
Use this homemade crispy lavash chips for all your snacking and entertaining needs! Here are all the ways we love to snack on these crispy crackers:
You can serve these crackers with hummus, like our Instant Pot Hummus recipe
Enjoy the with our 5 minute Avocado chutney
Super delicious Smoky eggplant dip
So creamy and delicious Edamame dip
Can I use gluten free flour to make these lavash chips?
Gluten free flours work just as well as multigrain flours for our recipe. You can use whole grain, gluten free flour of your choice. You could also use multipurpose, gluten free flour.
How to make lavash crackers in a traditional oven?
To start, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and gather your ingredients:
- whole wheat flour, multigrain-flour, or gluten free flour
- white sesame seeds
- nigella seeds
- olive oil
- warm water
- red chili powder
In a large stand mixer bowl, Add in the flour , salt and red chili powder and give a quick whisk. As it is mixing, pour in the oil and water. Mix until the flour is incorporated and forms a moist dough. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes.
Once the dough is together, turn it out onto your counter and knead 4 to 5 times until it forms a soft ball. Place a bowl or kitchen towel and let it rest for few minutes .
Using your hands or a rolling pin, roll the dough out until it forms a ⅛” thin sheet.
Cut the dough into strips using a pastry wheel, pizza cutter, or knife. Place the strips about a ½ inch apart on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle the chips with white sesame seeds and nigella seeds evenly and give a final roll with the rolling pin. Brush or spray some olive oil.
Place the baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until they are a golden brown color around the edges. Don’t undercook the crackers or they can become soggy.
When they are crisping around the edges, take the crackers out of the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes. Finally, transfer them to a wire rack with a spatula to allow them to completely cool.
How do I store homemade Lavash crackers?
Let the lavash chips cool down for around 10 minutes after they are cooked in the oven / air fryer or crisplid. You can then store these tasty chips in a sealable container. It will stay fresh for around a week. After which, you can try to recrisp them, however they will feel as fresh
Can I re-crisp homemade Lavash Chips?
After storing the chips for a few days, if you feel the crunch is missing, you can recrisp the homemade lavash chips by putting them in an air fryer for around 2-4 minutes @ 375 degrees. They should turn out awesome.
Crispy Lavash Crackers Recipe
- Whole wheat flour(multigrain-flour) - 1 cup
- White sesame seeds -1 tsp
- Nigella seeds -1 tsp
- Olive oil -1 tbsp
- Warm water -½ cup
- Salt -1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Lavash chips in oven instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a food processor or stand mixer, add the flour, all purpose flour, salt, red chili powder
- Then turn on the food processor add the oil and slowly drizzle in the water until a ball forms.
- Divide the dough into two dough balls. Place them on the counter, cover with a towel, and rest for few minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean countertop. Take one dough ball and use a rolling pin to roll out thinly in desired shape.
- Transfer the dough to a baking pan . Sprinkle the white sesame seeds and nigella seeds. Brush some oil and Cut it with a pizza cutter.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Till golden and crispy .
- The lavash chips on the edges may get a little darker depending on how even your oven is.
- Cool for several minutes before eating; the lavash chips will become crispier as they cool.
- Follow Steps 1-5 for oven instructions.
- Depending on the size of your fryer, you may need to slice the dough into smaller pieces.
- Before starting the fryer, line the bottom of the air fryer with foil.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 *F .
- When it is preheated, set the temperature to 375 *F and air fry for 10 minutes or until the chips are golden brown in color.
Air fryer or CrispLid instructions
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gourmia GAF400 Electric Multipurpose Classic Rapid Air Fryer with Dual Dial Timer & Temperature Controls, 10 Cup/4.5 Qt. Capacity, 1230W, Black
Instant™ Vortex™ 6-Quart 4-in-1 Air Fryer with Roast, Broil, Bake, and Reheat functions
Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker - Turns your Pressure Cooker into an Air Fryer - Air fry, Crisp or Broil fits 6 & 8 Q Pot Basket, Trivet, Silicone Mat, Tongs plus Instant access Free Recipe App
Organic Red Chilli Powder 7 Ounce - Non GMO Extra Hot Chili - by Jiva Organics
Culinary Whole Sesame Seed