Instant Pot Dal Palak / Spinach Dal Video Recipe -brings modern convenience to traditional Indian cuisine. Bursting with flavor, dal palak is a great way to ensure that everyone in your family eats a protein packed, vegetarian meal.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
This Recipe's Index
WHAT IS DAL PALAK / SPINACH DAL?
Dal palak, also known as spinach dal, is a popular dish throughout India. Dal has a dual meaning, referring to both ingredients (such as dried split peas or lentils) as well as a spicy soup created with these ingredients. Spinach is called Palak in Hindi. So dal palak is a type of thick soup that uses lentils, spinach, and a robust blend of spices for a flavor that will turn even the pickiest of veggie eaters into veggie lovers.
DAL PALAK RECIPE IS KID FRIENDLY
If there is one thing that kids all seem to have in common, they don’t like to eat plain spinach. Fortunately, my kids love dal palak, which makes it a tasty way to sneak in a vegetable that they don’t typically love. Plus lentils provide them a healthy shot of filling protein and fiber. That’s something we can all feel good about. More Delicious recipes with Spinach -
SAVE TIME WITH PRESSURE COOKED LENTILS
By making lentils in your Instant Pot, you will cut your cook time down and make the most perfectly tender but firm lentils each time without having to babysit a pot on the stove. When cooking lentils on the stove, you have to be vigilant, adding more water as needed and stirring frequently. With the Instant Pot, you can just set them up to cook and go about your busy life.
If you’re new to the Instant Pot, take a deep breath. We break down how to use your Instant Pot and tell you exactly what all those buttons do on our complete beginner’s guide to the Instant Pot, called Master the Instant Pot with 3 Buttons. If you are looking for other easy Instant Pot recipes to try, check out our 15+ Quick and Easy Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners. You can also check out our 100+ Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes for all your Instant Pot recipe needs.
Instant Pot Dal Palak Video Recipe
HOW TO MAKE DAL PALAK IN AN INSTANT POT? Step By Step Instant Pot Dal Recipe.
The Instant Pot makes preparing traditional Indian dishes like dal palak much easier. In fact, you can cook the dal palak and rice all at once in the Instant Pot, which makes it very easy.
- To make dal palak in the Instant Pot, start by washing and rinsing the lentils. Then set them aside.
- Now, press saute mode on your Instant Pot, and when HOT, add the ghee or oil , cumin seeds. Saute until the cumin seeds start to crackle and release their fragrance, usually within 2 to 3 minutes. Now add green chili, onions ,garlic and ginger to the pot and sauté for 2 more minutes until the onions become translucent. Make sure you’re stirring frequently.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the tomato and the spices.
- Add in the lentils, spinach. Stir the ingredients together well before pouring in the water.
- Now, you’ve got the Dal set up, so let’s set the rice up as well. Place washed rice, water, and salt to taste in a stainless steel or other small pot in a pot container for the Instant Pot. Then carefully place the trivet in the Instant Pot and place the rice pot on top of it.
- At this point, secure the lid on your Instant Pot, making sure the valve is set to sealing and pressure cook high for 5 minutes When the pot beeps, let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot and carefully remove the rice container and the trivet from the pressure cooker. Set it aside. Then finish the cooked lentils with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve the spinach dal hot with jeera rice and instant pot yogurt.
PRO TIPS AND TRICKS
The Instant Pot makes cooking dal palak super easy. To ensure success, you can follow some of these tips and tricks:
- Rinse the lentils first to make sure they are free of dirt or other debris that could be in them.
- Cook the rice using a pot within a pot method in the Instant Pot, this makes preparation much faster.
- If the dal is too thick, add a little bit of water and stir. Do this a little at a time to give you the consistency you want.
- Make the dal palak vegan by using oil instead of ghee.
- Use whole, dried lentils for best results and taste.
WHICH DAL IS USED FOR DAL PALAK?
For my recipe, I use Lentils, Red/orange/pink (split brown lentils)- Masoor Dal . However, if you prefer, you can use Pigeon Peas, split – Arhar, Tuvar, Toor or Lentils, yellow petite – (Split Mung Beans) – Mung Dal instead if you prefer or have them on hand.
IS DAL PALAK HEALTHY?
Dal palak is very healthy for you and your family. It has plenty of plant-based protein and tons of vitamins from the superfood vegetables. It is also relatively low in calories, and you can make the entire dish vegan if you use oil instead of ghee.
PALAK DAL RECIPE WITHOUT PRESSURE COOKER
If you don’t have an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker, you can still make dal palak at home on the stove top. To do this, instead of adding the dal to the Instant Pot with the other ingredients, you would need to prepare and cook the dal first.
- To do this, you would rinse the lentils (dal) until the water runs clear. From there, add the cup of lentils and three cups of water to a large pot. Bring the lentils and water to a boil and then cover with lid. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils have increased in size and become tender. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes. Set the lentils aside.
- From there, the steps are similar to the Instant Pot. In a large pot, heat the oil or ghee over medium high heat with the cumin seeds. Saute the cumin seeds until they start to crackle, which should only take 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, add green chili, onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions become translucent. Then add the tomato and all the dry spices and stir together well. Next, add the lentils and chopped spinach.
- Cook the dal palak until the spinach becomes whilted and your desired consistency is reached. Sprinkle cilantro and lemon juice in the cooked lentil. Serve the spinach dal hot with jeera rice and yogurt or Indian flat bread.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DAL PALAK AND DAL SPINACH SOUP?
Dal palak and dal spinach soup are the same dish, just different ways of saying it. Dal is a soup made out of lentils or split peas. Palak is the addition of spinach to the soup as a means to add additional nutrition and flavor to the soup.
Do you Love Lentils the do try these recipes
If you make this recipe, Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating. We would be THRILLED if you would take a pic and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind or Facebook @thebellyrulesthemind
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or Oil for vegan version
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Green chili
- 1 small Onions /diced
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic / finely chopped
- 3 cups Water
- 1 large Tomatoes /chopped
- 1 cup Red lentils (Masoor Dal) rinsed
- 6 oz spinach, chopped [ around 2 cups finely chopped spinach]
- 1 tablespoon Lime juice
- Cilantro to garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala optional
- Pot in pot cooking rice
- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Wash and rinse the lentil. Set aside. Press saute mode on Instant Pot. when HOT add ghee or oil , cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add green chili, onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes until the onions become translucent while stirring frequently. Add tomato and all the dry spices and stir well.
- Add the rinsed lentil and chopped spinach give a stir.
- Pour in the water and give it a stir.
- POT IN POT RICE (OPTIONAL)
- In a Stainless container (PIP) add rice and wash it properly till the water runs clear.
- Add water and salt to taste.
- Carefully place the trivet and place the rice on it.
- Place the lid and pressure cook high for 5 minutes.
- When the pressure cook beeps. Let the pressure naturally release for 5 mins and then do a quick release.
- Carefully remove the rice container and the trivet from the pressure cooker and keep it aside.
- Sprinkle cilantro and lemon juice in the cooked lentil Also adjust consistency of the at this point.
- Serve the spinach dal hot with rice and yogurt!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Simply Organic Ground Turmeric Root | Certified Organic | 2.38 oz. (3 Pack)
Organic Red Chilli Powder 7 Ounce - Non GMO Extra Hot Chili - by Jiva Organics
Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer